Momchil Ivanov wrote:
On Sunday 17 June 2007 11:24:46 Tek Bahadur Limbu wrote:
Hi All,

I just installed FreeBSD-6.2 today. However, a problem has come up.
Whenever I create a new user and add them to the wheel group, they can get
root access without getting a root password prompt!

Is my passwd file corrupt or is it due to some misconfiguration in my
freebsd box?

Can somebody shed some light on this?

Thanking you...

How do they get root access? su root or what? Did you set password for the root account or is it just empty?

Hi Momchil,

I did set the password for the root account. It's not empty. All the users of the wheel group simply got access using the command: su -

By the way, the problem disappeared after a normal reboot. But still, it got me alarmed.

Thanks for your concern and reply.

Thanking you...