On 6/15/07, Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 03:25:12PM -0400, Jim Capozzoli wrote:
> On 6/15/07, Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 06:51:31PM +0200, Albert Shih wrote:
> >> Hi all
> >>
> >> Anyone known what's the futur of ufs2 ? Is there any plan to make a ufs3
> >> for very large FS (> 2TB) . Or the plan is to use classic ufs for /  &
> >/usr and lets
> >> use ZFS for /home
> >
> >ZFS will remain an optional alternative because of the licensing, so
> >UFS and future derivatives are here to stay.
> >
> Yeah, but you know because of how nice ZFS is, a concept of using ZFS
> for /home and UFS for everything else will probably turn into a
> tradition or something. ;)  Why couldn't one make it so you have ZFS
> capability during a FreeBSD install, ZFS licensing isn't that bad is
> it?

It could be done.  At the present time ZFS is not really suitable on
systems without a lot of memory (I'd recommend at least 1GB).  It is
also very hard to tune it to perform well on i386 because of VM and
address space issues.  It might be possible to address these over
time.

Kris

Yeah, but at the rate they're making computers with more and more ram,
probably in 2 years or so a gig of ram will be like what we think of
256 megs today...some people already do regard a gig as not that much
even.  Personally, I have a 1.5 gigs in my machine.

--
Jim Capozzoli
D6499626857801B6065013E3645A6B75