Jose Luis Alarcon Sanchez wrote:
 > Hi Folks.
 >
 > I am FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE user. i'm learning FreeBSD.
 >
 > Some times, i see people have a system named 6.2-RELEASE-pxx, where
 > xx is a number. I know that -pxx are security patches, or not only
 > security and too are patches for solve bugs?.
 >
 > My dude is: is very convenient have upgraded the kernel to this
 > patches. I'm a home user, not a bussiness. Nothing "important"
 > depend on my system.
 >
 > My second dude is: how is the "upgrade" process?, are there this patch
 > files in any concrete web site and the user must download it and apply?,
 > are there any "automatized" mechanism for get it?.
 >
 > One last question, what is the number of the last patch applied?.
 >
 > Thanks you very much, in advance.
 >
 > Regards.
 >
 > Jose.

There is  a program called freebsd-update. It is part of the main
system, you already have it.
Patching the system is usually as easy as this:
(as root):
freebsd-update fetch
freebsd-update install
Recompiling the kernel is an easy, straightforward and well documented
process (unless you csup'd your system to STABLE, which you haven't
obviously)

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html

Since, as you say, nothing important depends on your system, you should
experiment and learn from it!
The current patch level is p5

Manolis