Quoting Roland Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 02:50:30PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
 I have just stuck the disks from an old AMD Athlon(tm)  (1333.39-MHz
 686-class CPU) into a new box with an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3800+
 (2387.78-MHz 686-class CPU).  I am still building a daily kernel with the
 old configuration and all is well.  Of course the old configuration was/is
 i386.  Now I need to compile for 64 bit apps.  I have configured a slightly
 modified sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC kernel and was going to build it as a test
 only to find out that a simple make buildkernel KERNCONF=AMD doesn't find
 /sys/amd64/conf/AMD.  There is an old reference in UPDATING from 5.0 that
 didn't work either.

 The other question is on today's make world all seems to still be compiled
 ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386 so I am sure missing something very
 simple.

It is possible to cross-build for amd64, but you'll need a seperate
partition to put the 64-bit environment on. Look at the mailing list
archives. This question has come up before.

But to keep things simple, I'd advise you to backup your files,
configuration files from /etc and possible /usr/ports/distfiles,
reinstall from an amd64 CD and then rebuild your kernel, world and ports
to your liking.

Hi Roland.

Boy am I glad that I asked. That is probably the last thing I would have done. Plus thanks for the answer, I must not have done a proper search.

I hope that the apps will run after reinstalling. I assume that the source tree will somehow recognize that I will be building world and the kernel on a AMD64. I'm downloading a copy of disk2 from FreeBSD now.

Have a great day.

ed