On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Bill Moran wrote:

> This is crazy.  There is no sane way that anyone can give you rules for
> this without knowing the rest of your firewall rules.  Amoung other things,
> _where_ you place the rules in the list, and what other rules that may
> match DCHP traffic are critical to the success of your firewall rules.

You're right.  I did say that it was the "simple" rule set from
/etc/rc.firewall, but it occurred to me later that the rules in there
have changed over time.  So I really should have said it was "simple"
from /etc/rc.firewall in 4.7-Release.

> Considering you stated that you're not sure if your firewall or dhcpd was
> problematic, I would suggest the following diag procedure.

Turns out both were working.  The notebook had been working, at least
when it was put into the bag a couple of months ago.  In the meantime,
the notebook's OS (*not* FreeBSD), had decided to render the USB
Ethernet driver invisibly nonfunctional.

The variations on ipfw rules were interesting, too.