On 7/2/07, Nikolay Pavlov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Wednesday, 27 June 2007 at 14:11:19 +0400, Nguyen Tam Chinh wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> We're going to build a server with some 1Tb of over 500 million small
> files with size from 0,5k to 4k.  I'm wonder if the ufs2 can handle
> this kind of system well. From newfs(8) the min block size is 4k. This
> is not optimal in our case, a 1k or 0,5k block is more effective IMHO.
> I'd be happy if anyone can suggest what does fragment (block/8) in the
> ufs2 mean and how this parameter works. I know It's better to read the
> full ufs2 specification, but hope that someone here can give a hint.
> Please advice with optimizations or tricks.
> Thank you very much.
>
> --
> With best regards,        |         The Power to Serve
> Nguyen Tam Chinh      |      http://www.FreeBSD.org

I am not aware of any ZFS results on such tasks, may be you will be the
one who share them ;) However RaiserFS whould be the best choise on such
spesific case. It's not available on FreeBSD currently.
I don't think UFS can handle a huge amount of small files effectively.
Of course gjournal could be an option for fsck problems, but how do you
plan to backup or sync this storage?

I'm aware of the fsck/backup problems. In our case there's no need for
backup so i went with ufs2. The current configuration is 4x250Gb disks
with bloc/frag ratio 4k/512b. We're generating files with the average
size of 6k ('cause the compress procedure does not work as well as we
estimated).
After a week I think we could collect some statistics in production.
Anyway, in this case a 8k/1k would be more effective for us. Hope that
I can test this in the next server.