On Jul 6, 2007, at 10:35 AMJul 6, 2007, Jean-Paul Natola wrote:

Hi all,

After failing to upgrade to 6.2 , I'm taking a members advice and going to
buildworld-

I have two questions-

How long will it take-
And do I need to stop the other programs from running -

The reason I ask is because I use the bsd box as a mail filter

Running Exim SA and ClamAv so I need to know how long it would take if I have
to take it off line-

My box is a PIII 500mhz with 512 ram

Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a                   248M     90M    138M    40%    /
devfs                         1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
/dev/ad0s1e                   248M    4.9M    223M     2%    /tmp
/dev/ad0s1f                   4.9G    1.7G    2.8G    38%    /usr
/dev/ad0s1d                   248M    128M    100M    56%    /var

Jean-Paul,

You don't need to take the box offline, although it may slow things down a tad bit. You're probably looking at an overnight event for the buildworld. Make sure you buildkernel as well.

Alternatively, you *could* buildworld/kernel on a second box, NFS mount the /usr/src and /usr/obj directories and installworld/kernel from there. We have ~30 similar FreeBSD systems and one build box. Kinda helps us stay consistent, etc.

HTH
Eric Crist