Tim Daneliuk wrote:
System is FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE.

I've added this to /etc/ttys:

  ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty dial.115200"        unknown on insecure

And this to gettytabs:

  dial.115200:\
        :np:to#30:hw:sp#115200:pp=/etc/ppp/pppserv

But when I 'kill -HUP 1' no getty process on ttyd0 shows up in the ps listing.

I found (and fixed) what was causing this, but it is very strange and I
am documenting here so others may avoid the pain.

At the *end* of  /etc/ttys the file, I put:

  ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty dial.115200"        unknown on insecure

But ... the entry did not end with a newline and init apparently thus didn't
recognize it.  Ending the line made everything happy.  I am submitting
this as a (very minor) bug, since I do not believe this to be correct
behavior (but what do I know ;) ...