Chuck Swiger wrote:
On Jul 11, 2007, at 10:22 AM, pj wrote:
I can access apache from my windows machine: "It works"
But I cannot access http://biggie:10000 - message says: try https://...
that does bring up the Webmin page. I know apache listens on port 80, but why https to get the Webmin page?

Umm, so you don't send your Webmin password through the Internet in plain text, rather than via SSL encryption.
I only use the server locally on my local network so I don't need the SSL.

Webmin uses it's own internal webserver, which is unrelated to Apache.
OK, thanks for that, I didn't know.

I cannot access http or https://biggie:931 (Swat) "Unable to connect"

There's no real need to use swat when you've got the ability to edit the samba config directly or via Webmin, but if you really wanted to, you could presumably set it up to run in inetd.conf. See "man swat".
Agreed. I don't like to use Webmin except to see if I may have missed something. It does not have the correct settings on startup.

Is my configuration wrong for samba? What's with the ssl?

You haven't provided any specific information about your Samba config, and most people aren't good at reading minds, so you'll need to either do something like run Samba's "testparms" and/or look over the Samba logfiles....
I finally found that Samba was looking for a guest account - I had not set it up. Now it's working ok.

I tried to reinstall (unsuccessfully -D NOSSL) apache22 without SSL. How can I disable the SSL I don't need SSL as I am using FBSD6.2 only on my local network.

Unless you've configured an SSL cert, the default ought to be to run Apache without SSL...?
I have not configured the SSL cert but no matter what I do, apache still runs with SSL. According to the manuals, apache is compiled with SSL by default for version 2.2.4. I have tried to # the ssl_module in httpd.conf with no results at all. That was the first thing I actually tried when I saw it was running SSL.

---Chuck