Pollywog wrote:
> On Saturday 14 July 2007 17:36:05 Tek Bahadur Limbu wrote:
>

>> Thank you for your tips. I will download the FreeSBIE live CD tomorrow
>> and follow it up with your suggestions.
>>
>> One thing I find FreeBSD very fussy and sensitive in comparison to Linux
>> OSes is that whenever there is an power outage, something wrong is bound
>> to happen. Maybe, it was made to happen this way but living in here over
>> the other side of the world, we do have to face power outages despite
>> our best efforts.
>>

> Before I installed FreeBSD, I had been using PC-BSD on the same laptop on
> which I now have FreeBSD.  I had only been running PC-BSD on the laptop for a
> little over a week, when it crashed.  I rebooted the machine and I had an
> unbootable system.   It would start to boot and then lockup as soon as KDE
> appeared, so I think the problem wasn't PC-BSD but KDE.  I then installed
> FreeBSD.  If this happens again, I will try installing gdm or xdm to see if
> that fixes the problem.
>
> Because of your experience as described in this thread, I think I will put
> off
> installing FreeBSD on my desktop machines until I have an uninterruptible
> power supply (UPS) installed.  I don't know if there are certain models of
> UPS's that will work with FreeBSD better than others.

Generally the APC UPSes work fine with FreeBSD. There is the apcupsd
port for controlled unattended shutdowns. They work fine in Linux too
with the same program.
You may also find other solutions that work fine with the nutups program.
As for failing to reboot after a power failure, you must have been
terribly unlucky...