At 06:03 PM 7/20/2007, James Long wrote:
Is it normal for bzip2 to be significantly slower than gzip? If not, where can I look for things that might be causing "bzip2 --fast" to take 50-60 times longer to compress a (sendmail log) file than gzip?

In my experience, Yes -- It's dreadfully slow. Some notes in the man page suggest it's designed to achieve very high compression but with correspondingly high cpu & memory demands. I just stick with gzip personally.

  -RW