Written by RW on 08/02/07 15:02>>
On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 13:11:04 -0500
Reid Linnemann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Written by RW on 08/02/07 11:27>>
On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 10:15:35 -0400
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

At 07:25 AM 8/2/2007, Roberth Sjonøy wrote:
Hello, Ive just installed my prefered text editor, nano, but when im going to run nano, this just appears: /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libncursesw.so.6" not found , required by "nano"
I have nano 2.0.6 installed from packages (not ports) and it works
fine on 6.2.

I also have that library with the same date as my last buildworld:

$ ls -l /lib/*curs*
-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  268108 Jan 14  2007 /lib/libncurses.so.6

but do you have libncursesw.so.6 - note the 'w'

The most likely scenario is that he's trying to use a 6-stable
package on 6.2. This something that people tend to get away with,
but is not actually supported.

Either build the port or install the correct package.

I'm tracking 6-STABLE, and I only have /lib/libncurses.so.6. libcursesw.so.6 is listed as part of the compat6x port, perhaps
Roberth has installed a 7-CURRENT package built with compat6x?

I'm guessing your 6-STABLE wasn't synced all that recently. There's a
test in the nano makefile that make it use the wide (multi-byte
character) version of curses (ie libncursesw) if the 6-stable or
7-current version is sufficiently recent. The fact that an up-to-date
compat6x has libncursesw.so.6 tends to confirm this.

Yes, you are right. I hadn't synced since February.. my, how the time flies!