It should be in /var/db/mysql/my.cnf.

HTH

Eric Crist

On Aug 1, 2007, at 11:04 PMAug 1, 2007, Hartleigh Burton wrote:

Hi Guys,

I have installed MySQL 5.0.45 server on a new FreeBSD 6.2 boxen, and having some problems restoring a 10GB database backup to the new server. The error I receive is max_allowed_packet too large. When I change the value for max_allowed_packet and set it to 100M, or 500M, or 1G, or 1000M, or 8589934592 (bits), it does not appear to be changing the value in MySQL.

I only have one configuration file located in /etc/mysql/my.cnf which is where I am setting the max_allowed_packet value.

After altering this value, I restart MySQL (or even the entire server) and then log into mysql and do a "show variables;" command. The max_allowed_packet variable is ALWAYS set to 1048576 (1M), and has not changed no matter what I try.

Is the my.cnf file in the right location (/etc/mysql/)??? How can I check where MySQL is reading the configuration from if there is a possibility it is not coming from this location???

Not sure if this additional information is of any use, in the rc.conf file I have changed the database directory by using mysql_dbdir="/db/mysql".

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Hartleigh Burton
Resident Geek

MRA Entertainment Pty Ltd
5 Dividend St | Mansfield | QLD 4122 | Australia
Phone: (07) 3457 5041
Fax: (07) 3349 8806
Mobile: 0421 646 978

www.mraentertainment.com

Internal Virus Database was built: Never
Checked by MAC OSX... we don't get viruses!