Mario Lobo wrote:
Hello to all;

I had a MSI mobo 645 Ultra with 1.5G ram, pentium 4 1.7 Ghz, 3 IDE HD, 1 SAMSUNG 80 G, 1 SAMSUNG 120 G, maxtor 120 G and a LG DVD writer. FreeBSD 6.2 recognized all HDs as ultraDMA 100. Fine.

Then a bought a ASUS p5vd2-x, 1G ram, Gforce 7200 video(pci-e), pentium D 940 Dual core and kept the same drives. After tuning and recompiling the kernel a couple times, I got almost everything working great ! SMP, acpi, network, you name it, EXCEPT ultraDMA.

if I leave:

hw.ata.atapi_dma: 1
hw.ata.ata_dma: 1

FreeBSD reports them (all) at ultraDMA 33. The system boots ok but after 7 or 10 minutes (even if doing nothing), I start geting messages from g_vfs_xxxx(); WRITE DMAERROR that can come from any of the drives until the system becomes unstable and ends up rebooting itself.

if I leave:

hw.ata.atapi_dma: 0
hw.ata.ata_dma: 0

The HDs get down to PIO 4 and the system works fine but at an incredible performance cost.
Finacial issues force me to make this work instead of buying more stuff.

Thanks for any suggestions,

There are usually one of two reasons for this;

1) Cable not being correct for slots (which UDMA33 suggests)
2) Controller not supported by driver (the controller does/requires something special)

I have had perfectly working cables not work just because the motherboard manufacturer decided they wanted to reorder some of the pins on the motherboard (and i wasn't using cables that came with the motherboard).

Perhaps you could post
'pciconf -lv'
together with
'atacontrol list'
and
'atacontrol info <device>'
where <device> is the names of the devices connected. E.g. acd0 ad0 ad1 etc..
dmesg should probably help?

--
Sten Daniel Soersdal