My earlier question about starting up vncserver has been answered with a couple of possible methods, and in the course of looking at them I found that during boot-up the PATH variable is set by the /etc/rc script.

Now, it seems to me that modifying the vncserver script is not elegant. I don't think it's a good idea for me to make *any* modifications to something that somebody else wrote, even when the code is as clear and easy to understand as in this case. Besides, what if I upgrade and forget to check if that file has changed? I could change the PATH variable to add /usr/X11R6/bin in my rc.d script. This sounds like a better idea to me.

How about making a change to /etc/rc? Is this a Bad Idea (tm)? I'm sure there's a reason /usr/X11R6/bin isn't in the path set in that script. So far I haven't made an /etc/rc.local and I don't want to. The obvious argument against modifying /etc/rc is that it will add another merging operation to mergemaster whenever I upgrade. Is this kind of modification suitable for putting in /etc/rc.conf?

--
Roger