--- Begin Message ---
A good choice for the Windows user would be PC-BSD

http://pcbsd.org/?p=download14 primarily due to the easy installation. I have quite a bit experience with it. You would get nice KDE environment very similar to what you had in Windows. It is based on 6.2 Stable and XOrg 7.2.

Desktop BSD is less active project and with much smaller user base. The new release based on 6.2 Stable and XOrg 6.9 seems bit baggy.

Both systems are pre-configured FreeBSD with extra GUI tools. The only difference is packing system . PC-BSD uses windows like pbi packing system as alternative to standard port system in FreeBSD while DesktopBSD utilizes GUI tools to assist novice user with
ports.

I would stay a way from the FreeBSD if your sole previous exposure to different Operating Systems was Windows unless you are really willing to sit and learn very intensively. This is primarily due to the fact that initial installation and PC-BSD like configuration
is actually the most difficult thing for the casual Desktop user of FreeBSD.
I hope this helps