blix wrote:
my console and messages file is filling up with these entries:

Hi Dan.

I hate console spam. Whenever I go to log into my server's ttyv0 [which happens about four times a year], instead of the getty prompt I see reams of out-of-date console errors which I would much rather have vanish into the syslog daemon but somehow don't.

I read somewhere about how you can edit syslog.conf to redirect errors to ttyv0 into /var/log/messages, but obviously I misunderstood because it didn't work. Try Googling for syslog.conf howtos, you might have better luck than I did.

That error actually looks pretty severe to me. I'd run some diagnostics on da3, like Spinrite for instance. Or just replace da3, if it's something easily replaceable like a USB stick.

HtH,
Adam J Richardson