Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

Unfortunately, rm -rf home removed  home from the source /usr
directory as well! :-(   I presume that this was due to /home being
a symlink to /usr/home, and somehow that link remained, so that -r
referred to everything below the symlink as well as to the directory
I was trying to remove.

Whatever the explanation, IMHO rm -r should NOT do this by default.

As far as I know, it doesn't.  You should show use a minimal set of
commands that reproduces the bug.  This will help anyone with a bit of
C knowledge to track it down in the rm(1) source and fix it.
I've been quietly following this thread since it started and ...
I can't reproduce this behaviour.  I've created and deleted I don't
know how many test directories and symlinks and I can't get it to
do what you're claiming it did.

He's absolutely correct.  Without the _exact_ command that you used,
it's going to be very hard to figure out what went wrong.

Are you using a shell that keeps a command history (i.e. bash)? If
so, can you get us the exact command that you issued?

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies