Kris Kennaway wrote:
> libthr has been around (and performing better than libkse) since the 5.x
> days and has been recommended for use since 6.0.
Yeah I knew it had been around -- missed the recommend part.

>> sysctl kern.timecounter.choice
>>        kern.timecounter.choice: TSC(-100) ACPI-fast(1000) i8254(0)
>> dummy(-1000000)
>>
>> sysctl kern.timecounter.hardware
>> kern.timecounter.hardware: TSC
I meant to say that this made a rather large difference.

>>       3) /tmp is a md0 malloc backed device
Eh -- I'll switch it.

> Should be swap backed, but it won't make much difference on your workload.
>
>>       (I'm thinking of using tmpfs in 7.0 when I switch)
>
> tmpfs is not yet production-ready even though it performs better.
Yeah that I knew, but I haven't had any issues with it on any of my
desktops that run it.

>> my.cnf
>> innodb_thread_concurrency = 8
>
> You want '0' or performance will suck.  There's a basic architectural
> flaw in how mysql handles non-zero concurrency values here (innodb
> accesses are serialized by a global mutex that protects a counter to
> check if it should try to allow more innodb concurrency.  Duh.)
>
> Anyway, assuming your disks can keep up you should see a big performance
> boost when you switch to 7.0.  This is a fairly big "if" though: I don't
> know if it's even feasible for a write-heavy database to saturate 8 CPUs
> instead of being bottlenecked by disk speeds and leaving the CPUs mostly
> idle.
Ah boo!!!

I have DBs that are SELECT heavy and those that are WRITE heavy.

I suppose I'll attached the my.cnf I'm using.

Is it worth having the port remove that recommendation from the
/usr/local/share/mysql/*.cnf files ?

Philip M. Gollucci ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) c:323.219.4708 o:703.749.9295x206
Senior System Admin - Riderway, Inc.
http://riderway.com / http://ridecharge.com
1024D/EC88A0BF 0DE5 C55C 6BF3 B235 2DAB  B89E 1324 9B4F EC88 A0BF

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.