There are two sets of commands you can use to build a kernel in FreeBSD:

"Procedure 1" is the old way: config, make depend, make, make install. "Procedure 2" is the make kernel sequence from makeworld.

Section 9.3 of the Handbook says I should use procedure 1 if I haven't updated my source tree. I can understand then need to use procedure 2 if I've updated my source tree, but why shouldn't I use it with an unmodified tree?