[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Where would I find a specific method for setting up a Samsung ML-2571N network-attached PostScript printer in FreeBSD 6.1? I'm hoping for something less generic than what I've found in the handbook.

Less generic? I think the Handbook printing section is complicated by too much detail, or maybe too much of the wrong kind.

Anyway, it's usually three steps:

Set up DNS for the printer:

    # for example, in /etc/hosts...
    192.168.1.250    netlaser

Create print queue dir:

    mkdir -p /var/spool/lpd/netlaser
    chmod 770 /var/spool/lpd/netlaser

Make /etc/printcap entry with rm= and rp= :

    netlaser:\
            :lp=:\
            :sh:\
            :mx#0:\
            :rm=netlaser:\
            :rp=raw:\
            :sd=/var/spool/lpd/netlaser:\
            :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

Print to it with

    lpr -Pnetlaser file-to-print.ps

For extra points, add another printcap entry for lp: that will print plain text. /usr/ports/print/enscript* is nice for that, or lots of people use /usr/ports/print/apsfilter so they can send about anything to the printer and let it do the conversion.