Well, the directions claim its simple, but try as I might, I can't get font anti-aliasing to save my life! I've tried following the gdkxft README, but I still can't make gdkxft do anything useful.

Is there some trick to getting it working with gdm? Should I have an Xsession.d or an xinitrc.d directory somewhere (creating them in /etc/X11 doesn't do squat).

Thanks! Sorry in advance if this is a moronic question.