On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 16:22:45 -0000 , [EMAIL PROTECTED] ("Justin P.
Michel") wrote:

>Is there anyone that has a simple set-up guide for Spam Assassin?  I've
>installed it from the ports, but have no idea where to go next.  Checking
>the web has only brought me documents which further confuse me.

Well here's one way.

- I hacked the port Makefile to remove the dependency on razor-agents,
  since I didn't want that or all the stuff which it drags in.

- I use the spamc/spamd variant of SpamAssassin.

- the mail gateways have no user accounts, they merely relay to
  internal Exchange servers. Each user has an alias file entry like:
  jim.hatfield: "|sa [EMAIL PROTECTED]"

- /usr/libexexec/sm.bin/sa looks like this:
  #!/bin/sh
  #
  # Pipe mail through spamc then route on via sendmail
  # Get the envelope sender address from the "From " line
  #
  read from sender rest
  {
   echo "$from $sender $rest"
   /bin/cat
  } | /usr/local/bin/spamc | /usr/sbin/sendmail -f $sender -oi $1

- there's only one whitelist file in /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf

The double-queuing makes the mail log a bit more difficult to parse
but the benefit of being able to filter on a per-user basis (some
people insist that their mail isn't filtered, so they have aliases
which don't pipe their mail through sa) works for us.