Mike Jeays wrote:
Please do not try to execute this: :() { :&:; } ;: on your BSD machine.
What does it do?

It is easier to understand when you replace the ":" by a more conventional subroutine name.

myproc () {
  myproc &
  myproc
}

myproc

It recursively generates useless processes that clog up the machine. Mine ground to a halt and froze after a few seconds.

Interesting, if not annoying ;)  Thanks for the explanation, Mike.  I edited
/etc/login.conf and changed maxproc=unlimited to maxproc=200.  Then tried it.  Took a
second or so to start spewing "Cannot fork: Resource temporarily unavailable".
I'd opened a 2nd session, and ps wasn't even able to give me full info on what was
happening.  Luckily, is was easily interruptible and the system seemed to recover.

 -Rob