I don't install CPAN on FreeBSD.  I use the ports and packages from
http://www.freebsd.org/ports
Do a search for the module that you require P5- means it is a perl module also you can use the ports collection for PHP modules as well. This will automatically install any other dependent modules.

Hope this helps

Thanks Sean,

it does help indeed.  But I have installed some perl modules via CPAN.
What is the best way to list them and uninstall them so I can install
them via the the ports method?

Cheers,

Noah