On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 18:00:27 -0500
Brian Finniff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My question is, if you are running a website for 2 different people on the
> Internet and they both wanted to acquire a domain but you only have one IP
> address, would it be possible to forward each domain to the same IP address
> and somehow each one becomes distinct? If so, how is this possible? Can you
> explain to me how it can be done.
>
> Oh and for reference, I am not talking about web redirects.

Hi Brian,
to be more generic in the answer, you can map as many FQDN (fully qualified
domain name) as you want to a single IP via DNS (you can even enable wildcard
records in certain DNS server software that will match *.yourdomain.com to a
default IP).

That tells {client_software} that {this_FQDN} is {this_IP}.
{client_software}will use that information in whatever form is suitable to
{client_software} - in most cases it will contact {server_sofware} running in a
server (or group of servers) running as {this_IP}. It is up to
{server_software} to determine how the request from {client_software} is
handled.

For a variety of {server_software}, there is support for named based virtual
hosts, where the server will behave differently depending on what FQDN the
client is attempting to contact : web servers, FTP servers, etc. Others don't,
because it doesn't make sense, or because the protocol used doesn't support
such thing (HTTPS, for example).

If you want a more specific answer, you need to defined what you want to do.
Odds are, you are talking about websites - the other replies to your mail
should have answered that point.

Best,
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

Q. How do you make God laugh?