3) WITH_DEBUG=true
4) -DWITH_DEBUG

If there is a better solution, I would appreciate hearing about it.
#2 and #3 will work.
The key is that the variable is set, not what it's set to. As a joke,
you can do WITH_DEBUG=no in make.conf, and confuse the hell out of other
sysadmins.

Note that there may be additional port-specific debugging that would
not be turned on by the global WITH_DEBUG, but you'll have to handle
that on a port-by-port basis.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com
#2 or #3. Also, take a look at ports-mgmt/portconf.
One other question. From what I have been reading, the use of 'WITH_DEBUG' also prevents the stripping of debug code when the program is installed. Is that correct, or do I have to use another flag to insure that debug code is not stripped from the installed program?
Yes, it's true. There might be some weird ports, which do things in a non-standard way, this might not apply to those, but for the most of our ports, which respect the most important macros, it is going to work.

--
Gabor Kovesdan
FreeBSD Volunteer

EMAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED] .:|:. [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WEB:   http://people.FreeBSD.org/~gabor .:|:. http://kovesdan.org