J. W. Ballantine wrote:
After upgrading from 6-STABLE to 7-RELEASE, I tried to rebuild
all the packages from portupgrade -af I started getting the following
error messages.  The first once, the second multiple times, even
after I moved the pkgdb.db and did a pkgdb -fu.

[/usr/ports/INDEX-7.db: unexpected file type or format -- Invalid argument] [Updating the portsdb <format:bdb_btree> in /usr/ports . .. - 17746 port entries found /usr/ports/INDEX-7.db: unexpected file type or format -- Invalid argument: Cannot update the portsdb!
(/usr/ports/INDEX-7.db)]

/var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db: unexpected file type or format -- Invalid argument

Any ideas on what is causing this?

Thanks

Jim Ballantine

That generally means that for whatever reason the pkgdb couldn't be read, which may mean that you need to rebuild ruby and all affected libraries to call up 7.x libs (at least based on experience that's what's happened with me).
Cheers,
-Garrett