Andy Greenwood wrote:

If you want the newer versions of software from the ports tree, don't limit your results by the tag. Basically, you're saying (IIRC) "I want the version of the port that was included with this release" instead of "I want the most recent version of this port." the release versions of the ports will only be updated for bug fixes, etc.

Unless something has changed recently, this is not correct.

The release versions of the ports are *never* updated for anything; not security fixes, not features, nothing. The ports tree is not like, say, Fedora Linux rpms.

What you say is true of the *base* system, but not true for ports.

Technically, the ports tree is not branched, because it's a) too much of a maintenance burden and b) apparently CVS is likely to struggle, which I can believe.

The ports tree is *tagged* (not branched) when the release ISOs are made, and those tags are never moved.

For cv(s)uping ports there are only two reasonable tags, as far as I know:

"."  which means the latest ports tree or

a date: when you desperately need to get back to the ports tree you had say a week ago because it worked and your current one doesn't and you are desperate.

--Alex