[LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
Garrett Cooper wrote:
Chuck Robey wrote:
RW wrote:
On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 08:14:02 -0800
"Mark D. Foster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Vince wrote:
Ashley Moran wrote:
Hi

I was just wondering, what is the motivation behind the GUI
configuration for some ports?  Simply put, they drive me up the
wall. I've lost count of the number of times I've come back to a
big install to find it hanging on a config screen.  Possibly I'm
missing something.
I agree though, I often suffer the same problem, coming back after
a few hours to a build that should have finished to find its
sitting on the first dependency.
Maybe it's been suggested before (in which case I add my vote) but a
timeout mechanism would solve this... give the user 10s to provide a
keypress else bailout and use the "default" options.

That would involve standing-over the build for hours or days in case
you miss a 10-second window - it's just not practical IMO.

Setting the menus is pretty easy to script, and you can also set BATCH
to take the default options
A suggestion I recently made on the ports list would, as a side
effect, make a better solution.  You see, allowing a default timer
does get things built, but then it allows no user input to let users
avoid installing software  that they either have no ise for, or do not
want for other reasons.  I have enough input now, so I'm going ahead
and coding up the Makefile mods to allow my system, but it looks
somewhat like the Gentoo Portage "USE" flags system.  Not identical,
and I am only proposing to use their USE flags, not the rest (I very
much like using Makefiles as FreeBSD ports does, and wouldn't change
that.)

If you want to see what it is, go look at recent postings on ports
list.  It'll probably get changed, as I get something for folks to
look at and discuss.
   USE flags are a pain in the ass (former Gentoo user of 3 years).
Introducing that type of complexity into a ports system isn't necessary
and does unexpected things at times for end-users when developers change
variable names or behavior, which happened quite often with Gentoo.
   make config-all or something similar to have people fill in their
desired config info in all of the ncurses config sections would however
be a much better idea I think..
-Garrett

Are you talking about make config-recursive?
Yes =\. Lemme guess.. that's already an option :)?