Hello,

I went to open up a new shell to our login server (recently rebuilt from
Debian to FreeBSD) and found problems allocating a new pty. With a
256-pty limit, I'm surprised more people haven't had this problem. With
team of 8 SysAdmins, each leaving about 30 windows open in screen
sessions, 256 starts feeling a bit claustrophobic.

I found a questions thread from January 2006 and these PRs:
standards/90896: not enough PTYs in the FreeBSD
kern/25866: [patch] more than 256 ptys, up to 1302 ptys.

The latter appears to have been kicking around since FreeBSD 4.3 (still
open).

What can I do to help get that limit raised? Does anyone have a patch
against 6.2? If not, would anyone be interested in writing one?

Thanks for any help,

--
Chris Cowart
Lead Systems Administrator