On Mon, November 19, 2007 18:35, Steve Franks wrote:
> Few weeks ago, I installed apache22.  Just wanted to put up some
> family photos.  Whenever I tried to connect, got a "apache doesn't have
> permisson to acess ~/. on this system or somesuch".  The only way to get
> around it appeared to be a chmod 777 on my pic folder (no luck with 775!).
> Now I restored some stuff from a backup over my photos,
> and now 777 won't work either.  Is there something fundamental about
> permissions I am totally missing?

Steve,

I suppose ~/ is your html_public in your homedir, right?
Apache runs as user www (and group www). So this user needs one way or the
other access to the mentioned directory (read and execute = 5).

Could it be that access is blocked on a higher level, say your homedir?

Peter

--
http://www.boosten.org