diskless101#mkdir /aaa
mkdir aaa: Read-only file system

Question: if the remount did not succeed, why didn't it throw an error? If
succeeded, why can't I write on the filesystem?

The answer to the second portion is that you're mounted as a read only
file system, so there's no write access.
You were right. Actually I had /etc/exports file setup correctly, but I forgot to invoke "killall -HUP mountd" after the last change. My bad. :-(

But... I'm still interested in the first portion. Why didn't I get an error message if the nfs share was read-only?
There's an nfs permissions file you may need to edit, /etc/exports/,
which controls whether NFS shares the file system as read only, read
write, whether root can have root on the file system etc.

The case is solved, but I still have this question. :-)

Thanks,

  Laszlo