On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 09:42:40 +0000
"Aryeh M. Friedman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have used gnome for several years now after finding kde lacking in
> features but just tried kde and have to say I like the programs it
> comes with (but I find gnome easier to use).... I also know there are
> other desktops out there (as being defined as a something more then a
> high end window manager)... which is best?
[...]

Hi Aryeh,
i think you will get so many answers about this question... :D

I for one used to run fwvm2 under linux back in 95, then KDE... but since then
I got a bit tired of the endless new tools for kde or gnome or this or that..
(eg, KDE front end for mplayer...what's wrong with mplayer, or gmplayer? )
anyway...

I've been using XFCE4 for a while. it's GTK-2 based, so most gnome apps work
out the box without installing the whole shebbang. And then, i just install the
apps that are useful to me, not what the KDE team decided to bundle in. (yes,
there are segregated by packages...but i just feel like back in Windows...all
that stuff you know you won't ever use...

(for that matter, i barely install XFCE own tools... rxvt is far more stable
than Terminal, beep / xmms / gmplayer / xine work better than xfce's media
player)..

What I did for a while is have all the desktops installed and use them under
different users, to see how they compared. KDE / Gnome felt quite sluggish
compared to XFCE. this may not be a problem for you, though.

good luck,
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"It is a lesson which all history teaches wise men, to put trust in ideas, and
not in circumstances."
   Emerson

Warned.