On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 05:51:13PM +0100, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
> eBoundHost: Artur wrote:
> > 2) That's the thing, banning hitlers name is not at all what i'm trying
> > to do.  I think we should keep his quotes in the database of quotes, if
> > that's what the community thinks is appropriate.  What I'm suggesting is
> > that we remove his name from the website:
> > (http://www.freebsd.org/internal/fortunes.html) because it seems to
> > innapropriately focus the attention away from the program (Fortune) and
> > unecessarily makes the FreeBSD community seem like a bunch of
> > insensitive jerks because we seemingly condone hitlers sayings.
>
> Quote from the linked website:
> > If an entry offends more than a couple of FreeBSD committers and does not
> > contain any objective poignant historical reference, the entry should be in
> > the offensive file.
>
> I'm not a freebsd committer, but I do feel offended by Hitler quotes (being
> German that is understandable, I think). And it's unthinkable for me to put
> anything he said anywhere else but into offensive.
> Just by being his words a quote is put into an offensive (and not amusing)
> context.

I'm offended by Germany's tendency to jail people for talking about
Hitler, too -- but I don't let that convince me to killfile everything
said by Germans on this list.  Just as not all things Hitler said should
necessarily be wiped from memory (in fact, I believe they should be
carefully saved and studied to help us understand where the world went
wrong in allowing his crimes to be committed), not all statements by
people who want to censor Hitler's words (or even those that happen to be
nationally associated with such people) should be censored either.

Thomas McCauley: "The measure of a man's real character is what he would do
if he knew he would never be found out."