On Wednesday 05 February 2003 14:37, Anand Buddhdev wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 01:02:29PM +0100, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> >     I run four Postfixes (one of them with Courier-IMAP), and one Qmail
> >     with vpopmail.
> >
> >     Postfix is IMO easier to install and administer, but doesn't have a
> >     point'n'click interface.
> >
> >     It also looks like Postfix is a much faster moving target than
> >     Qmail, e. g. the virtual address/mailbox support has been evolving
> >     quite a lot, and the configuration changed in Postfix-2.
> >
> >     I wouldn't recommend Courier; I don't know the SMTP part of the
> >     pack, but the IMAP server is pretty admin-hostile in that it
> > doesn't log almost anything at all, so when you run into trouble,
> > you're left to guessing, and hacking the source.
>
> Courier-IMAP is not admin-hostile. You can enable debugging, and it
> will log a lot of information. The SMTP server and client part of
> courier is also nice, robust and friendly to other sites, and has many
> useful features (RBL checking, rejecting spam, flexible aliasing,
> SMTP authentication, SSL support) all out of the box. And if you
> install the entire courier suite, you also get a POP server, webmail
> server and mailing list manager, and a webadmin CGI to configure it all
> easily. Courier's SMTP server takes its basic design from qmail, but has
> gone far beyond qmail in features, and has made many improvements over
> those parts of qmail that many people have long been criticising. Take
> a look at it more closely before trashing it so trivially.

Off topic:

If you absolutely do not want to run Courier (or any part of it), you can
get the same results with Exim as your MTA, solidpop3d as your POP3 server,
UW IMAP (imap-uw in ports) as your IMAP server, and squirrelmail (requires
IMAP server and PHP4 supported web server) as your web mail.

This set of programs, IMHO, is the best for the job, but you will probably
have more trouble configuring them than Courier. Personally I'd go for my
set of programs, but they are seperate things that have to be configured to
work properly together. As far as features and robustness goes, both
solutions will give you exactly the same end result.

As for things being admin-hostile. If you are used to something like Windows
NT MDaemon or Microsoft Exchange Server, there is simply nothing on the
UNIX platform that will ever make you happy, unless you are willing to make
a paradigm shift, and to start reading the manuals.

I do not know of any good software which can be configured by pointing and
clicking. UNIX mail servers have power and versatility, the Windows servers
have user interfaces that an infant can master. These two separate
paradigms can not be combined. In the case of a system with an easy GUI
interface, all you can do with it is what the GUI developer thought of. In
the case of UNIX servers, in most cases, you can do what ever you can code
in C or perl with it.

Will

--
Willie Viljoen