At 03:02 AM 12/5/2007, Supote Leelasuppakorn wrote:

Hi all,

   Please anybody help me, I faced the problem with my "crontab".
I tried to run a shell script which will fetch webpage and save it to
a directory by using wget but after few minute I cannot see any file
in such directory

   Below are content of shell script, my crontab and also
file's permission listing.

##########################
# Output of `crontab -l`
##########################
SHELL=/bin/sh
MAILTO=pjn
* * * * * . /home/pjn/parseGP/fetchPage.sh

########################
# file: fetchPage.sh
########################
#!/bin/sh
TIMESTAMP=`date "+%Y%m%d-%H%M%S"`

You are assuming that date is in your path by the above statement. Never assume you have a good path, unless you set it in your script file. So, either setup the path you need or use absolute pathnames such as:
TIMESTAMP=`/bin/date "+%Y%m%d-%H%M%S"`

LOGPATH="/home/pjn/parseGP/logs"
/usr/local/bin/wget --no-cache -a ${LOGPATH}/fetch.log -O ${LOGPATH}/${TIMESTAMP}.html http://www.blahblah.com

########################
# Files' permission
########################
blahHost$
blahHost$ls -ltrd parseGP
drwxr-xr-x 3 pjn pjn 512 Dec 5 14:27 parseGP
blahHost$ls -ltr parseGP/
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 2 pjn pjn 512 Dec 5 15:11 logs
-rwxr--r-- 1 pjn pjn 226 Dec 5 15:21 fetchPage.sh
blahHost$ls -ltr parseGP/logs/
total 0
-rw-r--r-- 1 pjn pjn 0 Dec 5 15:14 fetch.log
blahHost$

TIA
Pote

Make sure your script runs correctly outside cron, then test it from inside cron. Add some echo statements so you can see what is executed, such as:
#!/bin/sh
TIMESTAMP=`/bin/date "+%Y%m%d-%H%M%S"`
LOGPATH="/home/pjn/parseGP/logs"
echo $(TIMESTAMP)
echo $(LOGPATH)
echo /usr/local/bin/wget --no-cache -a ${LOGPATH}/fetch.log -O
/usr/local/bin/wget --no-cache -a ${LOGPATH}/fetch.log -O
echo ${LOGPATH}/${TIMESTAMP}.html http://www.blahblah.com
${LOGPATH}/${TIMESTAMP}.html http://www.blahblah.com

        -Derek

believed to be clean.