Hi,

Jerry McAllister wrote:
On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 10:31:05PM -0500, Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:

Erich Dollansky wrote:
after noticing how large my ports tree grows while compiling, I
thought of simply deleting it and do a CVSup to get a new one after
the compilation is finished.

This should be much faster and also should do some kind o
defragmentation. I simply cannot believe that the huge ports tree
will still be very well organised after some months.

What does the list think of this method?
Even though it will take quite a bit longer you should just do a "make
distclean" in /usr/ports that way anything you hand modified will be
retained (also you might want to consider keeping a local cvs
repository if this is an issue)

That's a good idea too.
But, it might not do enough.  So, still consider moving /usr/ports.

it does what I really want. I do not have a space problem. I simply want to get rid of the stuff which is not really needed.

A make clean takes to long.

Erich