From: Joseph Eaton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, January 6, 2008 11:56:49 PM
Subject: help with installation of 6.2 release i386 on older HP desktop

Thanks in advance for your help.  I am a newbie trying to install FreeBSD for
the first time.  I have an HP desktop computer with 64MB of SDRAM, a 12 GB hard
drive and a Pentium II processor running at 333 MHz.  I am trying to put
FreeBSD 6.2 on this machine but have not had any luck.  I've read the
documentation, but stil can't seem to figure out what to do.

I downloaded the ISO mage for the "bootonly" disk and checked that it using
checksum.md5, then burned a disk image using InfrRecorder to a fresh CD-R.  I set the
bios on my HP to boot from the CDROM drive and put the disk in.  It walks me through the
installation process but never gives me a chance
 to exit.  I select the Standard installation but get stuck shortly thereafter
when I try to tell it to use the option to set up for a single user using the
X-Window system.  It won't let me select multiple elements like bin and
library.  I get stuck and then it never completes and won't let me out of the
setup screen series.

Please let me know if I am not providing enough information above.  I welcome
any help.  Thanks.
Please have a look at the handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-diff-media.html

esp. section 2.13.1

The ISO you downloaded cannot be used for offline (CD-ROM based) installation. It is intended to pull install files from the Internet. Download at least the first full cd. Download all the CDs if you plan to install packages from the disks. Bear in mind 6.2-RELEASE is now a years old, and the packages in the CD are quite aged. There are other methods of getting updated programs once the base system is installed. However as a newbie getting a first feel of the system this is not terribly important. Please make sure you read the excellent handbook.