On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Chuck Swiger wrote:

On Jan 2, 2008, at 10:50 PM, Konrad Heuer wrote:
I observe a serious problem with NFS exports from a Mac OS X 10.4 server to FreeBSD 6.2 NFS clients (itself running on DELL PowerEdge 2850 server hardware).

We use the StorNext distributed file system in which FreeBSD cannot participate straightly (sorry to say). But OS X can do using the XSAN software from Apple, so we integrated the OS X server into the StorNext environment.

We want OS X to NFS export the filesystems to FreeBSD clients, which by itself for example act as SMB servers using Samba 3.0.x.

You really don't want to export a filesystem which itself is being mounted remotely. If you want to provide SMB filesharing for these files, run Samba on the OS X machine(s) directly.

Knowing all the drawbacks including reduced bandwith, there are some important organizational reasons, thus I want to do so. Moreover, Samba ist just one application on the NFS clients, although an important one.

Konrad Heuer
GWDG, Am Fassberg, 37077 Goettingen, Germany, [EMAIL PROTECTED]