On Jan 15, 2008, at 10:08 AM, Nikola Lečić wrote:
P.S.  I hope I'm doing the quoting thing ``properly'', not
"incorrectly".

IMHO there is neither FreeBSD- nor Linux-specific mails, and there
shouldn't be such thing. These mails are written in English, so it
seems that neither of us is right: quotes should be “like this”, not
"like this" or ``like this''.

While I would agree with the above, Unix shells make a distinction between different types of quote characters, and if you are talking about command-line programming or scripts, there is an advantage to quoting things in a fashion that the shell will be happy with.

Double-quotes (") permit variable, history, and alias expansion of the quoted terms, whereas single forward quotes (') give you a string literal and disable expansion. Backquotes (`) are used to perform command substitution and are a synonym for "$(command)" syntax; something like "echo `ls`" would be a simple example.

Regards,
--
-Chuck