[snip]
> To disable that behavior, just put -a 10.10.10.1/32:* in your syslogd_flags
> and you should be good to go (if your problem was the same as mine :)

Thanks, that helped a lot. for the record, I had to set the
syslogd_flags as Jon described, as well as adding "+@" and
"+fortigate" lines to syslog.conf above the local and remote sections
respectively. Leaving those lines out resulted in the logs getting
appended to /var/log/messages in addition to the logfile I wanted them
to go to.

Thanks again everyone!
I'm nerdy in the extreme and whiter than sour cream