Gerard wrote:

Come to think of it, does sysinstall keep a copy of the MBR as it was
before the installation?

I checked and it doesn't seem to be the case. Might be worth a PR?

No OS, irregardless of whether it is a *.nix *.BSD or Microsoft Windows should overwrite or disable another OS or it's files, period, unless
the user so configures the new installation to do so.

I believe that in Redmond you'll find some people who disagree with you...
I can't re-install Vista here without it wiping the entire disk. Older
versions of DOS/Windows merely overwrote the MBR, something that wasn't
right either, but at least it could be fixed. Vista doesn't seem willing
to share at all.

Alphons

--
VISTA - Viruses Intruders Spyware Trojans Adware