On Thursday, February 6, 2003, at 09:14  AM, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 12:07, Mark Edwards wrote:
1) Is there any way to run xscreensaver with gdm2?  With gdm, there
was a Background option in the config tool, but that's gone.
What do you mean? Run xscreensaver while gdm itself is running (i.e. no
user logged in)? I've never done this, but there are quite a few
configuration options in the /usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/gdm.conf that are not in
the GUI tool.
Yes, I want the monitor to go into standby after 5 minutes of the login screen.

2) gdm2 crashes if I go to the configure tool, close, then go to the
configure tool again.  I saw this same behavior in gdm, and it was
solved by starting via /etc/ttys, I think.  Is there anyway to fix
this?  Basically, once I go to the configure tool, I have to resart
gdm2 if I want to go to the configure tool again.
I haven't seen this, but I'll take a look.

3) I followed the directions to get font anti-aliasing working, and I
do have GDK_USE_XFT set to 1 via .gnomerc.  However, I don't see any
difference in anti-aliasing.  There was some anti-aliasing before I
did anything at all, for instance in mozilla some fonts are
anti-aliased.  But there is none in the gnome2 desktop even after the
new settings.  What am I missing?  Do I just need to add the proper
fonts or something?
You need to make sure your XftConfig is setup correctly, and you have
the latest freetype2. It hardly merits any work now as I'm on the verge
of committing GNOME 2.2 which no longer requires GDK_USE_XFT.
Ah. So if XftConfig is set up properly, I should see everything anti-aliased, is that right?

--
Mark Edwards
San Francisco, CA