Hi

I'm running 6.2 as a fileserver and sambaPDC on a home network, and I'm having problems with network performance.

The machine is an old laptop with a pcmcia 10/100 network card but it seems that I'm not getting better than a 10Mbit connection. This number is based largely on observations copying large files to and from windows, I'm sure there's a better way to test this from BSD. I believe I've eliminated everything outside the network card by doing some tests with a crossover cable and checking the switch and cable. I believe I've eliminated problems inside the machine with various "time dd if= of=" tests.

I think ifconfig -a is saying that the os thinks the card is 100Mbit:

ed1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
       ether 00:a0:0c:40:32:a3
       status: active

So my questions are:
How do I check the network performance from within freebsd?
What other tools can I use to check for network problems?
How can I check the network card is configured and working correctly?

Thanks for any help!

Paul Boldra