Guys, I need some input about what kind of _new_ printer to buy
        for my desktops.  I'd like to hang the printer off my FBSD box;
        my Ubuntu platform is probably too far away. At least 3 meters.

        Circa '01 or '02 I figured my olden DJ500 had cost ~$45/year.
        Not counting the ink.  It kept chugging around until a month or
        so ago and by now  it really is worm out.  It makes it's old,
        clunking, grinding sounds when I power dowwn, but nothing when I
        boot up.  And a friend stopped by this afternoon and checked.
        Cabling is fine; printer has power.  None of the buttons respond;
        no  reset, no formfeed, nada.  Only two of the usual three LED's
        are lit, so it's probably broken, burn-out, or worn out wires
        somewhere.

        The problem with buying New---and my wife is threatening me
        if I buy some older, junker printer---the problem is getting any
        of these printers that do everything but shine your shoes is:
        are there drivers to make them work with FreeBSD?  I don't care
        about fax, or features like scanning and copying.   About the same
        with color since most files are code or essays.

        Nutshell, I'd like anyone's ideas/experiences with some of these
        new HP/<<< or whateverbrand>>> printers. I wouldn't *mind* if I
        could scan in text from a techy paper into HTML or PDF or text.
        But mostly, like 99.44%  plain black text.  My old deskjet used
        gs as a filter to print PostScript.  Do we have any such plugin
        support, or are printers still roll-your-own?  [FWIW, I can't
        seem to get CUPS working...  altho it maay be my misssing
        /dev/lpt0.]

        gary