Andrew Bradford wrote:

I'm trying to set up a mounted filesystem that is read-write for root, but read-only for anyone else. It will be mounted as a backup directory, so files listed in that directory will be owned by current users on the system but can't be writeable, regardless of the file permissions.

hd2 mounted rw in /root/backup-rw
hd2 mounted ro in /backups

Is this possible?

Have you tried? ;)

I assume the reasoning for this is you want to preserve permissions and attributes on your backup, so you can't solve this simply by setting permissions appropriately.

But then, do users need frequent access to their backup? Then you could simply mount it on a mount point which only has root access.

Cheers, Erik