Predrag Punosevac wrote:
Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Predrag
Punosevac
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2008 10:36 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: DJ500 dead after >= 16 years.

Predrag Punosevac wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
 Guys, I need some input about what kind of _new_ printer to buy
 for my desktops.  I'd like to hang the printer off my FBSD box;
 my Ubuntu platform is probably too far away. At least 3 meters.
A few months ago I got a Samsung ML-2571N for well under $100 at
Fry's.  It is small, light, fast; has a built-in 10/100 network
port, handles PostScript, and speaks native lpr
What is lpr? Usually printers speak Post Script or PCL printer command language in which case you need a driver.
LPD, LPRng, and CUPS are different spooling systems.
Did you attach the printer to a computer or is acting as a free standing printer server.

There is a lpr driver by Brother for Linux. Brother and Canon have binary blob drivers. Did you use that driver may be? Does anyone know if those binary blobs can be useful for anything on FreeBSD. They appear to be wrappers for standard
Ghost Script drivers.

They aren't wrappers.  The binary drivers generally take the
intermediate output from the Ghostscript ijs driver and convert
it into whatever the printer understands.  If the binary driver
is statically built then it likely can be run by the linuxulator
under FreeBSD.

Most of the time the binary drivers are wrapped in an install script
that sets all this up.

I will actually try to do that as soon as I get my hands on one of those Brother printers and see if I can get it to work on FreeBSD and OpenBSD. Of course, I will definitely try to set up my wife's
Photosmart C5250 with only using LPD:-)

Thanks one more time Tad!

Predrag

Ted,

Would you be so kind to comment on something. According to HPLIP web-site in order to unlock the FULL functionality of
all-in-one device one has to use CUPS?

quote:

*Question: How are HPLIP and HPIJS related?*

Answer: HPIJS is a subcomponent of HPLIP. HPIJS provides basic printing support for non-postscript printers. HPIJS can operate in any spooler environment (including no spooler). HPIJS provides no I/O. HPLIP provides I/O for bi-directional communication, scanning, photo card access, and toolbox functionality. HPLIP requires the CUPS spooler.

end of quote.

Call me stupid but I do not understand the above. I have used probably as you and many other people HPIJS with LPD. HPIJS are included in HPLIP so I would guess that I could use even the same printcap file with HPLIP and it should work.

If I want to unlock scanning I need the hpaio backhands for SANE and they are included in HPLIP. Now why the hack do we need the CUPS. Is it possible that idiotic HP-toolbox talks only IPP so that one can not actually get the status of the
toner, paper, and other "advanced" functions unless use CUPS?

I really apologize for bothering you but I really want to understand how HPLIP works.

Best,
Predrag

Ted