On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 19:58:14 +0100
Miguel Giral <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> also, a side question. When attaching a geli provider, i get this:
>
> GEOM_ELI: Device ad4s3.eli created.
> GEOM_ELI: Encryption: Blowfish-CBC 256
> GEOM_ELI:     Crypto: software
> WARNING: Expected rawoffset 14548865, found 14548865
>
> i've been getting it since i edited the label of ad4s3.eli
> I don't really know if it's a bad thing to get that warning, since
> both numbers are the same.

If you look at the source code (in /usr/src/sys/geom/geom_bsd.c), it's
dividing the offsets by a sector-size when it prints them out. So they
only the same when rounded-down to a sector boundary. I guess you are
using a larger sector-size for geli, and specified a fraction of a
sector somewhere in the disklabel.

BTW it doesn't make much difference, but I don't see any point in using
anything other than 448 bits for blowfish under geli. Unlike the other
ciphers, no part of its performance is affected by keysize.