ZFS is but one of many things Sun has given the world over the years, need I
mention NFS,....?
ZFS is fairly new all around, and Apple is now attempting to use it in
OSX-Leopard.
zfs will work best on Sun/Sparc/Solaris right now, but whose to say now that
they(Sun Microsystems) have pretty well relesed 'da source, it will only get
better depending on Developer input from the xBSD"S, and Linux distro's...
-but ya ZFS is the file system defacto(128-bit wide capable FS, and therefore
infinite) that will replace all other FS's -ya all others!!!
just like nfs,..., zfs will be the one all OS's should incorporate except of
course M$, cause they're balless, godless Addholes, who hate being outdone and
outgunned as usual.
 it is different, but just remeber, Sun/Solaris is historically based on
BSD/Unix -the "real" UNIX of course so you're not far from the truth.
"make install RealBSD"